Team/precision dual line.

Started by Ian Highway, Sep 11, 2019, 11:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Highway

Sep 11, 2019, 11:57 am Last Edit: Sep 11, 2019, 12:29 pm by Ken McNeill
I have only been flying a little less than a year. Started off flying on our frozen lake out front of the house with a couple of single liners. They grew into quite a herd of kites. This past spring I picked up a couple of entry level duals as well as a couple of foil duals. The foils are fun but I much prefer the framed kites.Really enjoy flying gliders as well. I seem to be the only person in my little farming community that flies. I have found that I prefer precision flying over tricking (self taught from videos and some dandy crashes). Possibly because old men don't have the sharp reflexes of our youth any more. :)
I have a fair sized collection right now but I am looking for a Team/Precision kite to add to the bag(s).In that category, I have a Sky Dog Dream On and a Flying Wings Hornet. There is a HQ Fellow in transit due to arrive next week. Open to suggestions from folks who know kites better than I do. I live in Ontario, Canada but do have a USA mailing address so country of origin is not that important. Price point is not too critical but do not want to sell a kidney either.
Cheers,
Ian

Lex Kraaijeveld

You'll probably get many answers now, so I'll just list the team/precision kites were mostly flying with the team: North Shore Radical, Airdynamics T5, KiteTec Impulse. We also have Dream On and Tribord R244 kites as slightly smaller, good value for money, team kites, especially suitable for letting someone else fly with us and get a first taste of team-flying.

As Airdynamics and KiteTec are made in the UK, I realise these may not be feasible for you from a financial point of view (around £200 or a bit more, depending on the model).
K(optimal) = K(current) + 1

Roy Reed

Sep 11, 2019, 12:15 pm #2 Last Edit: Sep 11, 2019, 12:28 pm by RoyReed
Adding to what Lex said, the North Shore Radical (NSR) is very old school - slow, noisy, very limited trick capability, but runs on rails (can you still buy them?).

When I used to compete I started with Benson Phantoms and then switched to R-Sky Nirvanas (French) which were the thing at the time.

I'm in the UK as well, so I won't list any Brit/Euro kites as getting them in the US/Canada would probably be expensive/difficult. I'll leave it to people on your side of the pond to say what's best to get there.

Lex Kraaijeveld

Roy, original NSRs are only available on the second hand market, but I know of at least one UK kite maker who will make you a clone if you ask him. And yes, very old school, but fantastic tracking!

David Barnby

Back in the day the UK champs used the Matrix and the French the Blackbird.  The Matrix locks into the sky but can also be worked into smooth and beautiful moves.  The shows at Berk with Blackbirds were wonderful.

Mike H mikenchico

The "Kite that started it all" is available still from Chicago Kites. The "Hawaiian Team Kite", big, slow, powerful, noisy, and accurate. And the price isn't much more then I paid back in 1987. Wish they did the NSR too, but not yet.

https://chicagokite.stores.yahoo.net/hawteamkit.html

"You do not quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes (modified)

Lex Kraaijeveld

That 'Chicago Hawaiian' was actually the first Hawaiian I got! Since then added a few original TotL Hawaiians, and made sure the Chicago's bridles are set such that its flying is matched to the others.

First team kite indeed, but the tracking and especially cornering isn't as good as the NSR.

Frazer Worley

Sep 12, 2019, 09:53 am #7 Last Edit: Sep 12, 2019, 06:26 pm by Ken McNeill
If you're prepared to order from Europe you'll find a good selection of team kites available. Atelier make the Avatar (a new design), the spendy Slash and the venerable Masque, R-Sky have a new version of the Krystal design, Lex and Roy (above) can advise on options from the UK.

The Avatar is flown here by Ramal/Mayet's Guess team:

-Frazer

Ian Highway

Sep 12, 2019, 04:37 pm #8 Last Edit: Sep 12, 2019, 04:42 pm by Ian Highway
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I have actually located a Krystal and a L'Atelier Avatar here in Canada, one on the West coast and one on the East coast. Going to read up on both of them and then make a semi educated decision. If anyone wants to help the process with pro's and con's of either kite, please feel free to do so.
Cheers,
Ian

Ian Highway

I've been asked to post links to the stores up here in Canada that carry R-sky and L'Atelier so here they are. (with Ken's blessings)
R-Sky
https://www.vent-ekinox.com/en/ Based in Montreal. Normand speaks excellent English. Quebec is predominately French speaking, eh!
https://www.canadiankitecompany.com  Store is in western Canada, Alberta.

L'Atelier
https://cerfvolantcoriolis.com/en/ Based just outside of Montreal. Again, the lads speak English.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ian

Frazer Worley

Sep 13, 2019, 11:30 am #10 Last Edit: Sep 13, 2019, 11:33 am by Frazer Worley Reason: fixed video link
I see the Krystal 0.9 listed - but not a full Krystal at the Canadian Kite Company. The 0.9 is a scaled down version as is considered a "polyvalent" rather than a "precision" kite by its make R-Sky: https://www.shop.r-sky.com/K-0-9-c-31_36.html

Even at 90% it remains a large kite at 2.4M and I'm sure its capable of very good precision. What it loses out to the full Krystal in precision I'lll wager it makes up for in tricks, it will be more nimble and lighter on the lines better all-round ("polyvalent").

Video here

-Frazer

Ian Highway

I just want to thanks everyone for their advise and help with choosing a Team kite. I just got off the line with the chap who owns the kite store east of Montreal. As I type this he is packing up an Avatar in purple and it should be here in two days. I also ordered a new, unassembled Hawaiian Team kite so I think I have the bases covered, for this month :)
I'll post images when they both arrive,
Cheers,
Ian

Lex Kraaijeveld

You are aware this is addictive, right? And I'm speaking from personal experience; I know ....

Ian Highway

Quote from: Lex Kraaijeveld on Sep 17, 2019, 03:03 amYou are aware this is addictive, right? And I'm speaking from personal experience; I know ....
Lex,
I was kind of late in reading this........:)
avatar1 by Ian Highway, on Flickr

Lex Kraaijeveld

Let us know what you think about the kite. I flew an Avatar only once, for 5-10 minutes, and really did not like it. Flew like a brick, very sluggish, couldn't (half-)axel it for toffee. May well be that the bridle wasn't set properly for me (though the owner felt it flew fine), so I'm not dishing the kite. Just not one for me, based on the limited experience I had with it. Hope you click well with it!