Real Names

Started by Ken McNeill, Sep 11, 2019, 09:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken McNeill

Sep 11, 2019, 09:06 am Last Edit: Sep 13, 2019, 08:27 pm by Ken McNeill
Quote from: Ken McNeill on Sep 01, 2019, 07:03 amThis forum uses real names only. That means - real first name, space, real last name or real last initial. You may use a pseudonym or your real name as your username (sign-in), but real names only on the forum.

If not the same as your username, set your real name as your screen name by clicking on your name on the top bar and choosing 'account settings' - the second field is name, or screen name.

If you would like to display a nickname, you can do that by using the 'personal text' line of your screen profile. Click your name on the top bar and select 'forum profile'. The second text box is 'personal text'. You can see my aka:kmac under my real name.

When I opened the doors on Sep 2nd, one of the few things I asked of new members was to use some variation of their real name in their online presence. I believe strongly in the use of real names as a way to make a connection with other people. Someone much smarter than me said recently, "anonymity does not build a community", and I whole-heartedly agree.

When you go to someone's home, you don't wear a mask. As you enter, you extend your hand, look them in the eye, and if you're new to each other you tell them your name. Not 'newguy147', but your real name.

Over the last week, I've seen a trend towards not using real names as requested. I don't know if it's a matter of my not being adamant enough about real names, or not making a case? Perhaps it's people skipping over the 'Read This First' post as just so much boilerplate? Maybe it's a bit of blatant disregard? Or is it simply, 'this is the way I've always done it'? Whatever the reason, it's time for me to clarify and codify the forum rule.

Effective immediately, The Kite Gnome forum is real names only. This has been added to the top of the registration agreement in large red letters and is expected of all new members going forward. Existing members will have until Monday, Sep 16th to make the needed changes to their profile. At that time, members that have not updated their profile will receive a reminder message, followed by account suspension, followed by deletion. Please, let's not take it that far.

I'm glad that you're here. I look forward to using this place together to build something special.

Ken McNeill

Sep 11, 2019, 11:35 am #1 Last Edit: Sep 11, 2019, 11:37 am by Ken McNeill
Updated post above to add quote with policy specifics.